Sunday, April 21, 2013

Beauty in a Photoshop World

Barbie's still pretty without makeup too!!!


The cosmetics industry makes over 200 billion dollars per year. If you're like me you probably have contributed quite a bit to that dollar amount. In today's society we are constantly being bamboozled that we need this cream, and this mascara, and that eye shadow, and this lip stick or we are not beautiful. Cosmetics companies know that its natural for people to feel insecure, and they make their money by cashing in on peoples natural instinct to conceal themselves and their flaws. It may sound like I hate the beauty industry, but it's quite the opposite. I love makeup, in all forms, but it's because I accept myself, and ignore the hype that I can apply makeup as art, or for fun, and not think of it as the be all end all to my flaws. I am not the type of woman that cant leave the house without makeup, and I don't depend on makeup to make me feel better about myself. Ask my husband, or a better example Drake. He prefers his women in sweat pants, hair tied, chillin, with no makeup on, and even said that's when we are the prettiest. See, Drake is on to something. It's fun to get all dolled up, and yes, makeup can instill confidence, but it shouldn't be the only thing that makes you feel good about yourself. I have struggled with this myself, and just recently starting accepting myself, and putting myself out there. Six months ago, I would've never made a makeup page, I was scared, because lets face it, I am putting up pictures of myself and sharing myself with other people. People judge you, and when you put yourself under a microscope, people tend to pick you apart. I got over it though, and now I do it all in the name of fun, and creativity. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It can be difficult to pick up a magazine, and look at all these beautiful people and not feel like something is lacking within yourself, but you have to find the confidence within yourself to realize that you are beautiful, and you don't need to compare yourself to others. I also feel like a lot of what beauty is about is creating demands based on how people feel about themselves. Products are marketed in a way that plays on your insecurities because they know that's what will make you open your wallet. The opportunity to change yourself, or make something you don't like go away--that's the reason why we spend so much of our money chasing the beauty trail. No matter what anyone tells you, you are beautiful, and deserve to be loved and accepted for the person you are. 

Remember that.

XO






No comments:

Post a Comment