Thursday, January 9, 2014

Beauty Blogger's First Cut Crease

I almost had the title say baby's first cut crease because there are moments when doing makeup where I feel like an infant. I definitely think I have improved in the year that I've gotten serious about learning how to do makeup, but a cut crease to me is advanced, so, so advanced. I am not the best with liner. I can line my eyes, and I have just recently learned how to wing my eyes without ending up looking like a panda, but that cut crease tho? Yep, needs work. When I think of cut creases, I think of Queen of Blending. It takes impeccable blending skills and artistry to firstly get the correct shape for your face, and secondly to blend the shadow correctly without it looking cray. I wanted to share this because I will use it as a template to gauge my improvement. I have to remember that the best artists have off days, therefore when you are seeing these gorgeous makeup looks its most often one picture out of 100 or more. I know when I do a look my iPhone is full of rejects, and I usually only find 2-3 that I feel pass. We are our own worst critics, but sometimes you have an off day, and that's OK. I am still in the beginning stages with makeup, and this is my first attempt at something I feel is incredibly difficult. I'm ballsy like that. This will not only serve as my oh my god I can't believe how awful I was moment in the future, but it may help someone. Technically, I did a cut crease, so it still has a tutorial factor, and it may benefit someone in some way, if only to get a laugh lol.

I primed my eyes with Too Faced Shadow Insurance, and took my handy Jessie's girl black liquid liner pen and made an outline of the shape that I was going for. I should've kept the tail shorter, or made no tail at all, but c'est la vie. When doing this, don't worry so much about the lines, just make sure its in a shape. It doesn't have to be perfect, as you can see I did screw up the line a bit lol. Next, I took Kat Von D's autograph pencil liner and traced over my line, making it thicker and more defined. Yes, there is still mistakes. Next, using Urban Decay Naked 3's e/s in Blackheart I traced the line, and then started to drag it upwards, and following along the line. After you have a good bit of color on your crease line, grab your favorite blending brush and blend side to side and upwards in a window wiper like motion. That is how I did it. I know it's not technically right, or perfect, but for my first time- not too shabby.

Now to finish off the look, I patted on e/s from my new Naked 3 palette, and those were Nooner on the lid first, and then Dust on top to set it and give it a little shimmer. In the tear duct as well as half of the lower lash line I used Trick. The other half of the lash line is the same black shimmer color we used in the crease called Black heart. Apply mascara, and you are done with the eyes, finally!

For the face I used Tarte's Amazonian Airbrush Foundation, and their blush in Honored for the cheeks. Concealer is the great cover up by em cosmetics, and the contour on the nose and face was done with em cosmetics chiaroscuro contour stick.The lips are J cat's red lip pencil with benefit life on the A-list gloss on top.

There you have it! I actually really like this look, although the cut crease needs some work. With practice, maybe, one day I can achieve the skills of the Queen :)

Hope you took something away from this, and thanks for reading!

XO


No comments:

Post a Comment